Tennessee Employment and Labor Law
The Higgins Firm Focuses On Employment And Labor Cases In Tennessee And Throughout The Nation
- Should I be getting overtime pay for working over 40 hours per week?
- Can I be fired for missing work to help with an ill family member?
- Is my employer required to accommodate my disability?
- Is the severance package fair?
Contact Our Tennessee Labor Lawyers To Help With Your Employment Law QuestionsOvertime Pay Violations
Probably the most common employment law violation our team handles involve an employer’s refusal to pay overtime for more that forty (40) hours of work performed in a week. The Fair Labor Standars Act (FLSA) requires that a majorit of workers in the United States be paid overtime. However, the failure to obey the FLSA is a common way for dishonest employers to quickly increase its profits. Here are a few common overtime pay scams we have seen in our office over the past years:
- Giving employees a title that sounds important such as “assistant manager” so that they can claim the employee is exempt from overtime laws and pay them a salary. However, the title is in name only as the employee lacks real management duties and perform the same work as hourly employees.
- Failing to count all time worked in computing overtime pay, such as failing to count training, not counting pre-shift or post-shift duties, or making the client work off the clock if they don’t complete their work for the day.
- Paying an employee the same hourly rate of all hours worked
- Having an illegal “tip pool” for waiters and servers
- Excluding certain income when calculating overtime pay such as commissions or bonus payments.
The Knoxville employment lawyers at The Higgins Firm have significant experience in these and other types of labor law cases. To learn more feel free to explore this Labor Law website or contact our office.Who We Are:
At The Higgins Firm we have a dedicated employment law team to help clients understand their rights under the federal and state labor laws. We have successfully represented employees throughout the country in all types of employment law cases. This includes standing up for the rights of employees in individual cases and pursuing large class actions claims where groups of workers have been mistreated under the law. The founding partner of our firm, Jim Higgins, began his career defending large corporations but for the past several years has focused his efforts to build a firm that only represents employees. He is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and has been lead counsel in employment law cases across the country. Our Knoxville employment attorneys include graduates from some of the most prestigious law schools in the country and they are often brought in to assist other law firms in a wide range of labor law cases.Our Typical Clients:
The only common thread our clients have is that they suspect their employer may have violated the a labor law. As such, our the types of workers that seek our help very greatly. We have represented executive officers in corporations and factory workers that perform hard physical labor. Regardless, we do our best to ensure our best to ensure our clients legal rights are honored and that the process is as efficient and stress free as our system allows.Contact Us Today
If you have questions regarding your employment law rights please contact our Knoxville employment lawyers. You may call us or send your question by completing the contact form on this website.